Info for the day
Join us for the Big Green Day Out! We are inviting you to explore wellbeing and discover nature therapy, right on your doorstep in Sussex.
Hosted by the Green Wellbeing Alliance, spend the day visiting different outdoor therapy projects around Sussex, learning about the importance of nature on our mental wellbeing and the incredible work each group provides for our local communities. You’ll also be seeing innovative gardening, walking, foraging and community approaches.
The Green Wellbeing Alliance is a collaborative network of organisations that provide therapeutic outdoor activities for participants to improve their wellbeing and health while connecting with nature and other people. Our activities in nature benefit a huge range of people particularly those with mental health difficulties, dementia, at-risk young people, survivors of abuse, and people living with physical health conditions.
Evidence from Natural England shows that the NHS could save over £2 billion in treatment costs if everyone in England had equal access to good quality green space.
Similarly, across Sussex, 88 percent of people involved in this group of projects said taking part provided long-term impacts for them, according to a University of Essex study of the GWA.
The Big Green Day Out is your opportunity to come and see our sites, meet the project leaders and experience the benefits — like an Open House, but outside. Drop by for tours, treats and tuning in.
We’ve created an interactive map to help you find us and find out a little more about what each site offers – VIEW MAP.
The Green Wellbeing Alliance is made up currently of these projects, though we are always growing!
• Brighton & Hove Food Partnership – Preston Park community garden, Saunders Park edible garden and the Garden House on Ditchling Road. In addition, B&H Food Partnership manage the Stanmer Wellbeing Gardens, a 4-acre piece of land situated in the heart of Stanmer Park, next to the walled garden (One Garden) and Stanmer Organics. Here is a short video guide to find the Stanmer Wellbeing Gardens as it is tucked away in the centre of the park.
• Centre for Ecotherapy – Stanmer Wellbeing Gardens, Stanmer Park, BN1 9SE
• Circle of Life Rediscovery – Mill Woods, Park Ln, Lewes BN8 6BP
• Grow – Saddlescombe Rd, Brighton BN45 7DE
• Plot 22 – Weald Allotments, Weald Avenue, Hove, BN3 7JN
• Rock Farm – Washington, Pulborough, RH20 Washington, Pulborough RH20 3GR
• Wild Mind – Stanmer Organics, Stanmer Park, BN1 9SE
• The Plot – Stanmer Wellbeing Gardens, Stanmer Park, BN1 9SE
• Living Vital – Stanmer Organics, Stanmer Park, BN1 9SE
More detail on each organisation and other members of the Green Wellbeing Alliance can be found on the GWA website.
This is a free event open to all ages! Bring anyone and everyone.
There are restrictions on a few project sites regarding dogs, so we would be really grateful if dog owners respect this and check first before entering a site.
Our sites that are confirmed wheelchair accessible are as follows:
Circle of Life Rediscovery – Mill Woods, Lewes
Plot 22 – Weald Allotments, Hove
The Plot – Stanmer Wellbeing Gardens
Each site varies regarding wheelchair accessibility, we endeavour to provide as much information as possible, however please bear in mind a few sites are farms and woodland and therefore can be uneven and muddy.
Saturday 11th June 2022
12pm – 4pm